Instruments and dates
For the instruments of BASSOON and CLARINET , the 72nd annual Prague Spring International Music Competition, a member of the World Federation of International Music Competitions in Geneva, shall be held in Prague from 7 May to 15 May 2020.
Conditions for Participation in the Competition
The competition is intended for artists of all nationalities who:
a) satisfy the age limit – 30 years (i.e. those who are born after 7 May 1990 inclusively)
b) have not already won the 1st prize in the relevant instrumental field at the Prague Spring International Music Competition.
3 December 2019
The decision on admission to the competition shall be released by 20 January 2020 at the latest.
The selected competitors shall receive a notification by email. After the receipt of the admission confirmation, the participation fee of EUR 80 must be transferred to the competition account by 15 February 2020 at the latest.
The accepted candidates shall then be sent a letter with complete information concerning the organisation of the competition, as well as the sheet music for the commissioned piece.
Neither the registration nor the participation fee can be refunded should the competitor be prevented from attending, or should he or she cancel his or her participation.
Attach to the application:
1. An unedited VIDEO recording in the avi, mov, mpg, wmv, mp4, mkv or, alternatively, DVD formats of high technical quality of the compositions listed in the “Competition Repertoire” section of these General Provisions.
a) The quality of the recording must meet professional standards – recordings from mobile devices shall not be accepted for the preliminary round
b) The selection of candidates who shall be accepted to participate in the competition in Prague shall be made on the basis of this recording. The recordings shall be heard anonymously and in random order.
c) Idividual parts of recorded compositions must be uploaded separately, each into a different file. Please upload them to YouTube or any cloud server (Dropbox, iCloud etc.) and include the link in your application.
d) If you do not comply with the program requirements for the recording, you shall be disqualified.
e) A recording need not be sent by applicants who have won the 1st prize at selected competitions – please refer to the “Competition Repertoire” section.
2. A statement from a professor or other person of artistic standing (e.g. a sound engineer) guaranteeing the authenticity and quality of the recording.
3. A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate or proof of identity.
4. Portrait photo suitable for reproduction (min. 1 MB and 300 dpi). Upload the photo and send it online together with the application. Name the file containing your photo with your full name before uploading.
5. Proof of payment of the registration fee (for costs associated with registration and the preliminary round) in the amount of EUR 30 made to the “Prague Spring” account no. 3633372/0800 held at the bank Česká spořitelna, IBAN CZ64 0800 0000 0000 03633372, B.I.C. GIBACZPX (applicants wishing to make the payment in CZK shall find information about such payment in the Contact Section on the website). The administrative fee can also be paid online directly from the application form by means of the PayPal service ([email protected]).
By submitting a registration form, participants give consent to the production of recording any audio-visual materials from their participation in the competition and its publication, typically in the news coverage of the competition or by media partners of the competition. Owners of such materials are the Organising Body or its media partners as the producer of such materials.
If participants of the competition receive such audio-visual materials, they shall be obliged to use them only for their personal, educational, non-commercial and non-public purposes.
Any radio or television broadcasts and recordings of competition performances are at the disposal of Prague Spring and serve for the promotion of the competition.The possible commercial use of these recordings shall be the subject of future negotiations.
Official piano accompanists are available at no charge on request in the application form. Participants may bring along their personal accompanist at their own expense.
The competition will take place in three rounds, and the number of candidates is limited. For both instruments, the maximum number of Round I candidates is 45, a maximum of 12 candidates will advance to Round II, and 3 candidates will advance to the finals.
The commissioned piece for the 2020 Prague Spring International Music Competition by a Czech composer will be sent to the candidates together with instructions for competitors.
The competition repertoire stated by the candidate in the application is binding and cannot be changed. Later changes or failure to comply with the compulsory repertoire are grounds for disqualification. Candidates must bring printed music with them and present it on demand.
All three rounds of competition performances are public.
All travel and accommodation expenses in the course of Round I shall be paid by the candidates themselves.
Starting from Round II, all candidates who do not have their permanent residence in Prague or live more than 100 km far away from Prague shall receive a contribution of 60 EUR/day.
The contribution shall be provided for the duration of their active participation in the competition. The prize-winners shall receive a contribution until the day of the Prize Awarding Ceremony on 15 May 2020.